Me, me, me, it's all about me...

I was born in Wigan but spent most of my childhood in Rhyl where my parents owned a large seaside hotel. With this background, I developed a pathological hatred of suitcases and 'doing the dishes'. I went to Manchester University and took a degree in Chemical Physics because it didn't involve heavy lifting or washing anything. Three years of study prepared me ideally for.., another three years of study, this time in Hull (see my CV for full educational details). I forged on into a decade of R&D, specializing in obscure areas of industrial chemistry and becoming a world expert in the use of an analytical method that nobody else used. More importantly, I also purchased lots of expensive equipment with lousy manuals.

When BP (my employer for 7 years) hit hard times, I was the first person in my division to apply for voluntary redundancy, 2 minutes and 27 seconds after the program was announced. This gave me the opportunity and finances to travel the World for a year with my partner, Annie. Prior to departure, I did a spot of consultancy in California and also collected new qualifications in technical communication.

Fourteen years on, I am now probably the only freelance technical author managed by a full-time HR professional. Our success is demonstrated by increases in headcount in 1995 (Melissa), 1997 (Stan) and 1999 (Sally).

Junior personnel (Left to Right - Melissa Janet [Graphics], Sally Elsie [Sales], Stanley William [Engineering]).
Mission Control - now, which mouse shall I use next?

My interests, apart from working very, very, hard for my clients, are:
  • Running uphill through mud, preferably into a stiff headwind
  • Walking, when the mud and wind make running too difficult
  • Cycling (mud optional)
  • Quaffing real ale (in sensible, socially acceptable levels of course)
  • Painting and drawing
  • Making sandwiches
  • Hanging around swimming pools
  • Pretending I like gardening
I hope you've enjoyed looking around my cyber-hoarding. If any of my services are of interest, or if you just fancy a chat, drop me an email.

Happy surfing!

No comments: